The latest Swansea City news following Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Preston North End at Deepdale.
Whittaker omission explained
Russell Martin says he wanted to reward the players who started in the 1-0 win at Bristol City when picking his team to face Preston North End on Saturday.
The Swans were comfortably beaten 3-1 by the Lilywhites in what was their seventh fixture in just 21 days.
Despite scoring a hat-trick against Plymouth Argyle in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night, Morgan Whittaker did not feature in the loss to Preston.
And Martin says Whittaker would have had some game-time against Frankie McAvoy’s side had they not been forced into an early substitution following Joel Latibeaudiere’s injury.
“I think the team at Bristol City deserved another crack at it,” he said.
“The change we made from that game, Benno [Ryan Bennett] was back, and it was an easier call because physically how Brandon has been feeling.
“I thought Culls [Liam Cullen] did great. He set up the goal, he worked really hard.
“When Morgs does what he did the other night, there’s a temptation, but you also have to take into account the team we’re playing against and loads of different stuff.
“He would have got on the pitch today, but having had to bring Joel off, it meant that he didn’t come on.”
READ MORE: Russell Martin’s brutally honest assessment of Preston defeat and the transfer ‘chaos’ that lies ahead for Swansea City
Martin’s Hull City’s promise
Swansea players will be given three days off following their loss to Preston as the club continue to take precautionary measures to limit the spread of coronavirus at their training ground .
Fairwood will be closed from Sunday to Tuesday – with players set to return on Wednesday.
It will give Martin and his coaching staff some much-needed contact time with the squad ahead of the clash with Hull City on Saturday, September 11.
And head coach Martin says his side were second best in all aspects in their loss to Preston.
“It’s massive [break]. The one thing I can promise is we’ll be better in two weeks. There’s no doubt about that. We’ll work really hard,” he said.
“They [Preston] looked fitter than us, stronger us. They picked up a lot of second balls. We just didn’t compete well enough. The guys are tired.
“I said to the guys, I’m really grateful for what they’ve given us for four weeks.
“I think the team has an identity already and a way of trying to do things, but we just haven’t had time to get fit and time to work properly.
“We have a choice, we can feel sorry for ourselves and start questioning everything or we can use it to make sure we come back and improve, and use it to energise us for the work that we’re going to put in over the next two weeks.”
Swansea City fans, we want your views!
You can become even more involved with WalesOnline’s Swansea City coverage by signing up to leave comments on stories, delivering your verdict, discussing the biggest breaking news and also chatting to our journalists in our dedicated Q&As.
Click here to get started.
Kyle Joseph admission
Martin has hinted that Kyle Joseph could be the only player to depart Swansea on loan in the coming days.
The striker has attracted plenty of interest, with Cheltenham Town being firm admirers of the 19-year-old.
Joseph – who moved to south Wales from Wigan Athletic earlier this summer – was not included in the Swansea squad for their clash with Preston on Saturday.
And Swans boss Martin says Joseph is the only man the club will keeping an eye on when it comes to potential loan exits in the coming days.
“I’m not sure what’s going to happen with Kyle yet, we’ll have to wait and see,” explained Martin.
“There’s a lot of interest in him, but as far as I’m aware at the moment, that’ll be the only one we’ll have to keep an eye on.
“But it has to be right for us and it has to be right for Kyle. At the minute it’s still with us, and we’ll have to see what the next three days brings.”
For the latest Swansea City news and analysis delivered straight to your inbox, you can sign up for our newsletter here.