Michaela Baldwin and her partner Lee Clark might have been hoping for a spark when they settled down for a romantic night in.
But it was electricity that wrecked the couple’s evening when a lightning strike caused their Sky TV box to ‘explode’.
Michaela, who is 21 weeks pregnant, was left shaken after the terrifying freak event.
READ MORE: Aldi shopper’s ‘genius’ trick to slow down speedy checkout staff slammed as selfish
Michaela, 31, and Lee had sat down to watch a film – sci-fi thriller Anon – but it wasn’t long before extreme weather short-circuited their plans.
The pair remember they were sat on their sofa with their dog Chico when lightning struck the aerial and the road outside.
Michaela, 31, from Hull, told HullLive : “It was such a shock. Me and my partner had started watching a film when we heard the thunder.
The aerial at the front of their home is now just a pole
(Image: Richard Addison)
“So we opened the front door like we have done all day to watch it. Within 15 minutes there was a massive bang and a very big flash in the living room.
“The Sky box blew up. It has actually burned my Sky box. It smells burnt.”
She continued: “Our neighbours said they knew that this was going to happen as it was totally dark and the clouds looked horrible.
“Anyway, next thing you know they had seen the lightning hit the road just behind the car and they smelt burnt rubber. It nearly hit the car and set the car alight.
“So by our reckoning, we think it has bounced off the top aerial and hit the Sky dish.
“Our Sky dish is a bit higher than everybody else’s because we requested for ours to be on the front but everyone else’s is on the back.
“It looked like the lightning was in our house. All the power went out, our poor dog ran upstairs, then it was just totally dark and we could smell burning so we checked there was no fire.”
Enter your postcode for the weather forecast for your area
Michaela added: “We actually love thunder and lighting, we like watching it. That’s the weird part.
“We joked around and thought ‘is that it?’ when the lightning was predicted for the day before, only for it to actually happen.
“We just couldn’t believe what had happened actually. I still can’t. It has blown the TV aerial up. It’s just a metal pole now on the roof.
“I’m the best I can be but I’m just shocked more than anything else. It is just the pain of trying to sort everything out.”
Despite being left in shock, Michaela confirmed both she and her baby are healthy and safe, as is partner Lee.
To get the latest email updates from Yorkshire Live, click here .